Position Title: Geologist
Location: Burlingame, CA
Number of Openings: 1
Position Closing: When filled
EKI is an employee-owned, full-service, engineering and environmental sciences consulting firm, serving private- and public-sector clients throughout the United States. If you are interested in contributing to California’s quality of life, improving the environment, and advancing your career, then EKI is the place for you.
We are currently seeking an energetic Geologist for Water Resources and Hazardous Waste projects for our Burlingame, CA office.
You will be involved in exciting projects in both Water Resources and Hazardous Waste operations. Tasks will include preparing field drilling and sampling plans, overseeing drilling subcontractors, geologic and stratigraphic logging, borehole geophysical interpretation, collection of real-time in-situ site characterization data (e.g., CPT/MIP investigations), constructing and testing of groundwater monitoring and production wells, installing soil vapor probes, and collecting water and other environmental samples, while providing careful documentation of your observations and work. Depending on the project, sampling may include soil, groundwater, soil vapor, sub-slab vapor, indoor air, and stormwater.
Your role in EKI projects will include tasks as varied as preparing supporting technical documents for groundwater sustainability plans, Phase II environmental investigations, and providing construction observation at hazardous waste and brownfields investigation and remediation sites.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Working with a team of engineers and scientists to conduct hydrogeological investigations and sampling, providing clear and effective field documentation of observations in field notes, and assisting your team to prepare reports documenting field work;
- Conducting fieldwork and sampling in accordance with approved sampling plans and standard operational procedures; and
- Interpreting investigation results with the project team to address potential hydrogeological or chemical impacts to the environment or groundwater resources.
The successful candidate must have:
- BS and/or MS in Geology or similar earth sciences educational degree;
- Effective communication skills, both written and oral;
- Interest in sedimentary geology and environmental hydrogeology;
- Three to five years of experience working in the field with and around heavy equipment (environmental or water-well drilling oversight experience preferred);
- Willingness to work outdoors in sometimes challenging and uncomfortable conditions;
- Medical clearance to work on hazardous waste sites and the ability to lift 35 pounds;
- Skills in basic tool use and field troubleshooting;
- A current valid driver’s license;
- Interest in synthesis of field and laboratory data into concise written reports, including maps, figures, and tables (ArcGIS experience is a plus); and
- Organization and detail-oriented approach including following procedures for careful sampling and legal requirements for sample documentation (e.g., chains of custody).
As an ESOP firm, EKI offers a unique company culture with a corporate commitment to maintaining a positive work/life experience. EKI provides excellent compensation and comprehensive benefits packages, including career advancement opportunities, outstanding training opportunities, profit sharing through the ESOP and incentive compensation, 401(k) and group medical, vision, and dental benefits. If this is the career path of your choice, please submit your resume to:
EKI is an Equal Opportunity employer.